Fresh Phish: How to Not Become the Catch of the Day in a Phishing Boom
How Not to Become the Catch of the Day in the 2020 Phishing Boom
Mounting Phishing Threats Have Businesses Navigating Dangerous Water
Phishing has always been a cybersecurity menace, but in the wake of the global pandemic it’s grown into the biggest cybersecurity threat that businesses face today. From ransomware to data theft, the majority of cyberattacks that can cause a business catastrophe in 2020 start with phishing.
- More than 80% of cyberattacks are phishing attacks.
- Phishing attacks have increased over 600% since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- An estimated 65% of global businesses will be victims of a phishing attack in 2020 .
- Cybercriminals launch a new attack every 39 seconds.
- Since March 2020, the FBI reported a 300% increase in reported cybercrimes.
- COVID-19 has become the biggest phishing topic in history.
A Tidal Wave of Dark Web Activity Increases Phishing Danger
In a challenging economy, even cybercriminals have to work a little bit harder. Fortunately for them, the global pandemic has created a huge increase in the amount of data that is trafficked online – resulting in a huge wave of information making its way to the Dark Web through data breaches and other cybercrime to power their attacks.
- 60% of the information available on the Dark Web could potentially harm enterprises
- 75% of phishing targets are found through web searches or common email address formats.
- Over 60% of cybercriminals use phishing as their primary method of attack.
- 2 million active users connect to the Dark Web every day.
- Even novice cybercriminals can conduct phishing campaigns (including software and hosting) for as little as $30 per month.
Stem the Tide of Data Breaches
The fastest way for bad actors to gain access to your systems and data is by tricking your staff into giving them a key to the front door through a successful phishing attack - and they’re using every means at their disposal—from fake official COVID-19 maps to SMS messages—to try to snatch credentials.
- 90% of data breaches start with a phishing attack.
- 49% of US companies have experienced a data breach.
- 67% of data breaches in 2020 have resulted from social engineering attacks.
- 60% of businesses lose unrecoverable data as a result of a phishing attack.
- 43% of data breaches result from unauthorized credential use in cloud-based web applications.
- 37% of 2020 phishing attempts are made through messaging apps.
Avoid Hazards Like Ransomware
Ransomware is the monster under the bed that keeps IT professionals up at night. This security menace started topping the charts in 2019 and has only continued its upward trajectory in 2020. As the economy contracts, ransomware threats (and payment demands) are expanding – and in this business climate, no company can afford to fall victim to ransomware.
- An organization will be hit by a ransomware attack every 14 seconds in 2020.
- Phishing is the #1 delivery method for ransomware.
- Ransomware has impacted 51% of global businesses.
- 50% of organizations that fail to block a phishing attempt are infected with ransomware.
- Ransom payment demands increased by 30% in Q1 2020.
- More than 100K ransomware attempts were reported between January and June 2020.
Protect Email Inboxes from Phishing Danger with Graphus®
The best defense against a phishing attack by email is to stop it before it ever lands in an employee inbox. That’s why Graphus is an essential component of a strong phishing defense for any business. There’s nothing else like it for protecting companies against malicious email in one simple step.
- Patented AI technology monitors and analyzes communication patterns between a company's people, devices, and networks to spot anomalies.
- Suspicious messages are detected and processed faster than with any competing solution.
- Detects Zero Day attacks in real time.
- Starts working on Day 1 with no configuration needed.
- Automatically spots and quarantines suspicious messages.
Automated Defensive Technology
Automation isn’t just the wave of the future for vacuums – it's the wave of the future for everything, especially cybersecurity. By using automated cybersecurity solutions like Graphus, companies save time, money, and headaches. Adding security automation to your cybersecurity plan is a smart move that benefits your business today and tomorrow.
- Companies that deploy automated cybersecurity tools have 70% fewer incidents.
- Companies using automation save $3.58 million per breach compared to those that don’t.
- If a company has a cybersecurity incident, automation saves about 50% of the recovery cost.
- The recovery cost gap has grown 29% year-over-year.
- Security automation can reduce stress on IT staffers by 60%.
Get Graphus – Simple, Smart, Automated Email Security That Works For You
Automation doesn’t mean expensive. Every business can add affordable automated email security with Graphus. The patented smart AI analyzes your company’s communication patterns to provide unique protection for your company that grows with your business. Put three layers of cutting-edge protection between your business and phishing with these powerful shields:
TrustGraph® automatically detects and quarantines malicious messages that slip through your email security platform or existing Secure Email Gateway (SEG), so the intended end-user never even sees them.
EmployeeShield® alerts recipients of a suspicious message to potential danger they might not expect by placing a warning notice atop unusual messages to allow users to quarantine it or mark the message as safe in one click.
Phish911™ makes it easy for staffers who spot a dodgy looking message to send it straight to an administrator in one easy step to avoid having to handle it at all and prevent accidents.